Wednesday, March 28, 2007

APOCALYPTO- The Movie


I didn't think I'd actually write about a movie on my blog. I'm not too crazy about movies, and even if they seem to leave a momentary impression, very few movies stand the test of time and stay with me. I'm not sure Apocalypto will be something I take with me as a memory to my death bed, but it certainly touched me. Brilliant movie. A lesser adjective would be inappropriate.

It's not the sort of movie I would ever have watched, had I had the slightest idea that a) it was not in English, b) it was about an ancient tribe (I'm a major sucker for civilization). In fact, about half an hour into the movie, I tried to get our tickets changed for tickets for Nishabd. But fortunately, that didn't happen. For you see, the movie actually picks up in the second half. After which it is so fast it doesn't give you time to dislike it, and so powerful that you have to make quite an effort to breathe. It's got very good cinematography, beautifully directed and shot scenes, an unbelievable setting, and a very moving story. It's quite gory in parts (through which I shut my eyes firmly), but all in all, it's powerful, and most importantly, different while not being too arty or pseudo. A must MUST watch, especially if you're someone like me who doesn't appreciate movies unless they have a very interesting sounding story (and have sufficient concrete and limited greenery), for you'll probably not see another like this one.

I particularly love the tag line 'No one can outrun their destiny'.

0 comments: